Monday 16 September 2013

Feeding Your Body With Luved vs Unluved Carbs


Special Guest Post from Melissa Windsor, JQ Fitness

When I decided to completely change the way that I was living my life (in regards to health and fitness and by extension, many of the other things that I was unknowingly doing), I had to look at the things that I was putting into my body. I had to ask myself is they were helping me or hurting me. Food is arguably the most important battle that anyone who is facing the great battle of weight loss must conquer. I will be the first to tell you that it is without a doubt the hardest.

Please give me a bootcamp workout any day of the week, you could even give me 10… (no joke – you can read about that right here) but food for me is one of the hardest things to wrap my mind around  and something that I constantly have to be on top of, educating and re-educating myself as to what I need to be feeding this body of mine for optimal health, to ensure a healthy future, to promote wellness and to ultimately conquer my inner ravenous monster/beast/junk foodie that literally wants to devour every chocolate bar and bag of chips I see… like I said it’s a daily battle.

So over the next couple weeks I think it will be super helpful to give you all some great pointers, tips, and tricks for eating for weight loss, and generally eating to help our bodies stay as healthy as possible!!

LUVED & UNLUVED CARBS

Did you know that every time you put food into your mouth your body responds with a hormonal response? The main hormone responsible for this is called insulin.  Insulin has one goal, get rid of the sugar in your blood and store it as FAT.

Eating highly refined and refined carbs (think any kind of WHITE SUGAR/FLOUR anything super processed – If it’s WHITE, it ain’t RIGHT!) causes a MAJOR insulin response in your body compared to when you eat proteins and fats (which do not trigger an insulin response).  This is why you need to be really aware and mindful of the AMOUNT and TYPE of carbohydrates that you are consuming!




When you eat these UNLUVED carbs (High Glycemic Index (GI)) foods along with fatty foods, its like throwing gas onto a fire – accelerating fat storage in your body. Really, let’s be honest, who wants that?

That’s why in bootcamp and with our personal training clients, we recommend that you CUT OUT these unluved carbs from your diet! You might LUV them, but they definitely don’t show your body any LUV – so why would you want to put them in there!?

Instead we should be eating limited amounts of lower GI/LUVED carbs including:
  • Wild rice, Brown Basmati Rice, White Basmati Rice, Brown Rice
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Whole Wheat Spaghetti, Sprouted Grain Spaghetti, Spelt, Quinoa, Capellini, Kamut
  • Exekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread, Ezekiel 4:9 Raisin Cinnamon Bread, Stonemill Sprouted Grain Bread
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal, Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Cerealss, Dorset Museli Cereals, Nature’s Path Smart Bran, Natures Path Granola/Flax (*note: not all Nature’s Path Cereals are low GI!)
  • Stevia, Xylitol, Raw Honey, Sugar Cane Juice, Organic Sugar, Maple Syrup

Lets try and cut out those UNLUVED carbs and show our bodies the LUV they deserve!!

On a more comedic note, I found this while trolling Pinterest the best website on the planet and had a great chuckle, thought you would all appreciate it as well ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment